Quick Estimates Of Index Of Industrial Production And Use-Based Index For The Month Of February, 2019 (BASE 2011-12=100)
The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of February 2019 stands at 127.5, which is 0.1 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of February 2018. The cumulative growth for the period April-February 2018-19 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 4.0 percent.
2. The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of February 2019 stand at 112.3, 129.3 and 137.7 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of 2.0 percent, (-) 0.3 percent and 1.2 percent as compared to February 2018 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-February 2018-19 over the corresponding period of 2017-18 has been 3.0 percent, 3.8 percent and 5.5 percent respectively.
3. In terms of industries, ten out of the twenty-three industry groups (as per 2-digit NIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during the month of February 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II). The industry group ‘Manufacture of wearing apparel’ has shown the highest positive growth of 19.3 percent followed by 13.8 percent in ‘Manufacture of food products’ and 8.3 percent in ‘Manufacture of wood and products of wood and cork, except furniture; manufacture of articles of straw and plaiting materials’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of machinery and equipment n.e.c.’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 12.8 percent followed by (-) 10.7 percent in ‘Manufacture of fabricated metal products, except machinery and equipment’ and (-) 9.7 in ‘Manufacture of furniture’.
4. As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in February 2019 over February 2018 are 1.2 percent in Primary goods, (-) 8.8 percent in Capital goods, (-) 4.9 percent in Intermediate goods and 2.4 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of 1.2 percent and 4.3 percent respectively.
5. Details of item groups exhibiting larger variations in production in absolute terms and weighted terms in Statement IV.
6. Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of February 2019, the indices for January 2019 have undergone the first revision and those for November 2018 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.
7. Statements giving Quick Estimates of the Index of Industrial Production at Sectoral, 2-digit level of National Industrial Classification (NIC-2008) and by Use-based classification for the month of February 2019, along with the growth rates over the corresponding month of the previous year including the cumulative indices are enclosed.
8. The release of the Index for March 2019 will be on Friday, 10 May 2019.