Quick Estimates Of Index Of Industrial Production And Use-Based Index For The Month Of December, 2018
1. The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of December 2018 stands at 133.7, which is 2.4 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of December 2017. The cumulative growth for the period April-December 2018 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 4.6 percent.
2. The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of December 2018 stand at 114.4, 135.5 and 150.3 respectively, with the corresponding growth rates of (-) 1.0 percent, 2.7 percent and 4.4 percent as compared to December 2017 (Statement I). The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-December 2018 over the corresponding period of 2017 has been 3.1 percent, 4.7percent and 6.4 percent respectively.
3. In terms of industries, thirteen out of the twenty-three industry groups (as per 2-digitNIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during the month of December 2018 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II). The industry group ‘Manufacture of tobacco products’ has shown the highest positive growth of 27.9 percent followed by 17.9 percent in ‘Manufacture of other transport equipment’ and 16.5 percent in ‘Manufacture of wearing apparel’. On the other hand, the industry group ‘Manufacture of furniture’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-)18.7 percent followed by (-) 16.4 percent in ‘Other manufacturing’ and (-) 5.4 in‘Manufacture of coke and refined petroleum products’.
4. As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in December 2018 over December 2017 are (-) 1.2 percent in Primary goods, 5.9 percent in Capital goods, (-) 1.5 percent intermediate goods and 10.1 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III). The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of 2.9 percent and 5.3 percent respectively.
5. Details of item groups exhibiting larger variations in production in absolute terms and weighted terms in Statement IV.
6. Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of December 2018, the indices for November 2018 have undergone the first revision and those for September 2018 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.
7. Statements giving Quick Estimates of the Index of Industrial Production at Sectoral,2-digit level of National Industrial Classification (NIC-2008) and by Use-based classification for the month of December 2018, along with the growth rates over the corresponding month of the previous year including the cumulative indices are enclosed.
8. Release of the Index for January 2019 will be on Tuesday, 12 March 2019.