Cabinet Approves Integrated Development Of Theme-based Tourist Circuits Across The Country
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the following proposals:
1. Continuation of the Swadesh Darshan Scheme during 14th Finance Commission period and beyond;
2. Rs. 2055.96 crores for 60 on-going projects completing in December 2019; and
3. Rs. 324.09 crores for 6 projects for which substantial funds have been released and projects to be completed in September 2020.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme - Integrated Development of theme based tourist circuits is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism for the development of tourism infrastructure in the country. The scheme has the following objectives:
1. Position tourism as a major engine of economic growth and job creation;
2. Develop circuits having tourist potential in a planned and prioritized manner;
iii. Promote cultural and heritage value of the country to generate livelihoods in the identified regions;
iv. Enhance the tourist attractiveness in a sustainable manner by developing world-class infrastructure in the circuit/destinations;
v. Follow community-based development and pro-poor tourism approach;
vi. Create awareness among the local communities about the importance of tourism for them in terms of increased sources of income, improved living standards and overall development of the area.
vii. Create employment through the active involvement of local communities;
viii. Harness tourism potential for its effects in employment generation and economic development.
ix. Make full use of the potential and advantages in terms of available infrastructure, national culture and characteristic strong points of each and every region throughout the country by the development of theme-based circuits.
Under Swadesh Darshan Scheme Ministry of Tourism is developing critical tourism infrastructure in the country in a sustainable and inclusive manner to make India into a world-class tourist destination. The focus under the scheme is to develop public facilities like last mile connectivity, Tourist reception Centers, Way side Amenities, Solid Waste Management, Illumination, Landscaping, parking etc. where Private Sector is not willing to invest.